You will also have access to the sensational step steps and different inspirations of parts produced with this technique is very successful! He was curious? Then come with us!
Learn More About Patchwork
Patchwork is a technique in which the joint is made of fabric cuttings forming geometrical figures. The indentations may be symmetric or asymmetric, as is the case of unstructured patchwork.
The conventional technique is performed with the aid of the sewing machine. But this work can also be done with glue, when the intention is to apply fabric clippings on surfaces such as walls, and MDF boxes. That is, also it has been spread as a decorative technique.
The Patchwork may involve the overlap of three layers:
the top – that are the patchwork stitched to each other, the filling – which is the material used to add volume to work; the liner – cloth used to give a better finish.
These three overlapping layers are joined by stitching, called quilt, which are continuous drawings to the machine. The quilt motifs can be in format, hearts, and many others. This technique makes the work even more beautiful and valued.
After the finished part, in addition to the quilt can also identify:
Patchwork Block – It is the junction of tissue indentations on new standards. Blocks can be identified even in a finished part, just a little refined and workout look.
Appliques – fabrics are applied on the fabric base. The appliqué can be of various designs, such as doll, flowers, butterflies etc.
Materials and Tools
We list the main tools and materials used in works in patchwork, both for those who already sewing as to who will start from scratch. Check out these tips incredible …
If you will already seamstress, probably only need the basic kit, consisting of:
corterégua base for circular patchworkcortador for fabric
Below is the complete list of materials with some purchasing guidance material.
Other Tools and Work Tools
First let’s talk about the main utensils and tools used in patchwork jobs. Even the list is large, does not mean that you need to get everything at once, you can go riding his studio gradually buying the tools and materials according to the need. But, on the other hand, there are those utensils that are not lacking in any way, such as sewing machine, pins, scissors and the basic kit to patch.
1) Cutting Base – The cutting base is used to support and cut the fabric. It comes with markings in centimeters and inches vertically and horizontally. The basis for cutting protects your furniture and ensures long life to the mower blades. You can buy a good quality cutting cutting base, and that is medium or large. The 45 cm x 60 cm is a good option.
2) circular cutter or rotary cutter – serves to simultaneously cut multiple layers of fabrics, quickly and accurately. Give preference to a cutter with 45 mm blade, which is the most suitable for cutting layers of fabrics. One should be very careful when handling this tool, since the blade is very sharp.
3) Refill for circular cutter – When the blade is worn, buy a refill and replace it. So you do not need to buy another mower.
4) Ruler measure or ruler rotary – These rules have markings measurements and angles (30º, 45º and 60º), and are used along with the circular cutter. Thus, we can say that this is an indispensable item. In the market there are a variety of rules, all to facilitate the making of patchwork blocks. For you who do not yet have a rectangular slit, the 30 cm x 15 cm is excellent for various types of crafts.
5) pins – Dressmaker self-respecting not live without them! short pins, colorful tip, are ideal for sewing machine, finishes and zipper placement. For other works in patchwork, you can use long pins, long and extra security because they are more efficient to hold several layers of cloth.
Those who have a ball or colorful little flower at the tip provide a better view at the time of making the play. Is a tip: choose good quality pins, as these will not rust and do not stain the pieces; and having the sharpest edge, not repuxam the yarns of the fabric.
6) Pinner – The pincushion is an accessory that is used to store and organize the pins. It may be several ways, but the most used are magnetized and those fabric or felt, both filled with filling.
7) Pencil 6B or tailor’s chalk – Pencil or chalk are often used to make markings that guide the cut.
8) Scissors – The sewing scissors will be used to cut lines and molds. It is interesting that you still have an earwig precision, suitable for making decorative finishes.
9) Iron – It may be some that already have at home. If you buy can be a simple one.
10) Sewing Machine – Having a sewing machine is indispensable to those who want to work with the patch. But then comes the question: “Which machine should I buy?” But the answer is that only you know what the best option for you. To choose your sewing machine, worth researching prices and features. That is, consider what you need in a machine and also what is dispensable. That is, one must identify with the machine. If the intention is to work with quilts, look for a specific machine for this.
Want to learn more tips on how to choose your sewing machine? Then download now the Free Guide 42 Tips, Techniques and Secrets Sewing for Beginners or Experienced.
11) Tape – A tape measure is widely used in the patchwork to measure tissue and molds.
12) Opener houses or descoseador (seam ripper) – This accessory is used to open houses and break points.
Basic material for Patchwork
11) Fabrics – To ensure the quality of parts, the suggestion is to use 100% cotton fabrics, found in versions: flat, themed, with small or large prints. Regarding width, national fabrics are 1.40 m or 1.50 m, and imported 1.10m. It is indicated that all tissues are washed before being used in their craft work.
12) lines – the lines can be of cotton or polyester. If the intention is to highlight the quilt, use a line that generates contrast to the tissue.
13) Mantas – The blankets are fillers that are in the middle of the quilt and fill the quilt. The blanket most commonly used for smaller parts is acrylic, having different thicknesses for the production of various works such as table mats and paths. For larger pieces, cotton blanket is widely used.
Learning is Everything!
To start working with patchwork you need to invest a few hours to learn all the techniques, from putting the needle on the machine, prepare the fabric, learn to use jigs, to the cutting phase and assembly of parts. For this, anything goes: watch videos, get online courses and ask for tips to people with more experience than you. You can still read about it and participate in craft fairs and bazaars.
We indicate closed eyes Landscapes Course in Patchwork and Quilt, which is a great way to learn. This course is suitable both for beginners, and for those who have mastered the production of parts in patchwork. With this technique you can create bags, decorative frames, necessaires, and more!
5 Ideas works in Patchwork To Inspire You
The patchwork allows you to create a huge variety of items such as quilts, table rails, layette for babies, bed clothing, blanket for sofa, cushion cover, necessaire, placemats, bags, kit bathroom errands door, bag for souvenirs and more! See 5 ideas for you to be inspired:
The bags in patch are beautiful and are ideal to be offered as a souvenir on several occasions. In addition, they can be used to organize items such as hygiene kit, underwear and pajamas.
2) Cradle Kit
Look at that beautiful thing: Kit baby in pink and blue. Know that the market for children’s products in patchwork is super high, so that these types of parts are profitable and easy to sell.
3) American Game
For some artisans, the placemats are the flagships. That is, the larger output item. Now that you know this information, it is worth focusing on the production and sale of this type of piece that is so successful!
This beautiful basket has many uses, and is ideal for mother carrying the baby’s little things. It is also a good idea to load several objects during tours.
5) Document Holder
Make port documents is a clever way to repurpose tissue remains, since the cutouts required for the manufacture of this piece are very small. In addition to beautiful, this is a very useful piece on a daily basis, which can be used even for gifting.
Following these tips, I’m sure you got even more inspired to get to work or even to learn more about this wonderful art on fabric. Then do so, if you liked this article, leave a little message for us, we will be very happy to know that you have more people, as well as the agent believes the world with crafts can be even better and more beautiful.